Watercress Chef’s Salad
2 cups watercress
2 cups grated carrot
½ cup toasted sunflower seeds
1 hardboiled egg
1 avocado, diced
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
Toss everything together and serve with a nice homemade dressing.
For a double dose of watercress, top with Creamy Watercress Yogurt Dressing, Yum!
Creamy Watercress Yogurt Dressing
½ cup olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice (or vinegar)
1 tsp honey
1 cup watercress (chickweed or other tender greens are good as well)
¼ tsp salt
1 garlic clove
dash of pepper
½ cup yogurt
1. In blender or food processor, blend all ingredients but the yogurt thoroughly.
2. Add yogurt, and blend gently until smooth.
This recipe is an old standby for salad dressings. I substitute different in-season wild greens throughout the year.
Watercress-Feta Sandwich Spread
8 oz cream cheese
4 oz feta cheese
1½ cups watercress
2-3 cloves garlic
½ tsp coarse ground pepper
1-2 tsp milk to soften as needed
Put all of the above ingredients, except the milk, together in your food processor and chop at high speed until smooth and green and creamy. Add milk only if needed to soften it to a nice sandwich spread consistency.
This spread is very delicious! It can be used on sandwiches, bagels, and pita bread. You can also thin it with milk and use it as a dip.
Watercress Potato Soup
1 medium-large onion
10-12 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp butter
8 medium potatoes, peeled & diced into bite-sized pieces
5 cups water or stock
4 cups watercress
2 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 cup milk or cream
1. Sauté onion and garlic in butter.
2. Add diced potatoes and 5 cups water or stock.
3. Cook until potatoes are soft, then let cool.
4. Put ½ of potatoes and broth into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
6. Add puree back to pot with rest of potatoes and water and turn on low heat.
7. Add watercress, salt and pepper.
8. Simmer gently until watercress is tender.
9. Add milk or cream and serve.
This soup is easy to scorch so hover over it and stir often. If I have time, I prefer to use a crockpot for steps 6-9 as it is guaranteed not to scorch and I can get other things done while it simmers. This soup will disappear quickly!!!
Watercress Egg-Salad Sandwich Spread
2 hardboiled eggs
½ cup watercress, chopped finely
2 Tbsp chives or minced onion
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
Salt & pepper
Mash hardboiled eggs with a fork and mix with watercress and chives. Moisten with mayonnaise and season gently with salt and pepper. An optional teaspoon of horseradish would give this spread a nice little kick!